Here are some great links to sites that influence and inspire us.
- Bower’s Farm – a farm in Ethridge, TN raising grass-fed beef and pork without the use of hormones or antibiotics.
- Bugtussle Farm – A CSA in Gamaliel, Kentucky.
- Curly Birds – A wonderful craft blog for kids. Beautiful and thoughtful photographs showcase this site. (It’s my sister-in-law’s inspiring blog.)
- Emily Kennedy, the Author – See us featured in Emily’s blog, Living Local and Large in Loretto/Lawrence County and Cooking with Quaffs (alcohol).
- Food Babe – She investigates food.
- Friends of Summit’s Leap – Our very own farm blog. We share the adventures of moving from California and starting a farm in Tennessee.
- Lawrence County Master Gardeners – Since my husband and I are both master gardeners and growing food is part of our alternative life style, it seems fitting to add the blog I created for them. You’ll find all kinds of gardening tips.
- Radical Farm Wives – 3 farms, 3 friends, countless tales.
- A Campaign for Safe Cosmetics – Over the past decade, the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics and their allies have analyzed hundreds of personal care products at laboratories. Their partners at Environmental Working Group have built the world’s largest database of chemicals in cosmetics, Skin Deep, which analyzes 68,000 cosmetic ingredients using definitive government, industry, and academic sources. This research indicates that many personal care products – from deodorants and lotions, to make-up and even baby shampoos – contain chemicals linked to cancer, birth defects, learning disabilities, skin problems, and other health effects. Get involved!
- All Recipes – An archive of Cooking Light Recipes.
- Cooking Light Magazine – Recipes from Cooking Light always turn out great.
- Eating Well Magazine – Food and health magazine featuring healthy recipes, nutrition and diet tips, cooking techniques and seasonal suggestions.
- Eat Wild – Getting nutrition from modern food.
- Epicurious – Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazine’s recipes.
- Livestrong – A non-profit organization that supports people in managing and surviving cancer. The site also lists healthy recipes.
- Local Table – a local food and farm guide for Middle Tennesssee local products.
- Skin Deep Cosmetics Database – Find out how safe your cosmetics and skincare products are!
- Spark People and Recipe Calculator – Their mission is to SPARK millions of PEOPLE to reach their goals and lead healthier lives. They offer nutrition, health, and fitness tools, support, and resources that are 100% free, while other sites like Weight Watchers and eDiets.com charge their members for similar services.
- The Non-GMO Project – List of non-GMO products.
- 17 Ways to Add Protein to Your Smoothies Without Using Chemical Powders
- Chemicals in your Food Can Make You Fat – by CBS News. It sheds light on a myriad of chemicals in conventionally produced food and what it does to our health.
- 8 Foods Ingredients That Can Cause Inflammation – by the Arthritis Foundation. When you have arthritis, your body is in an inflammatory state. What you eat may not only increase inflammation, it can also set you up for other chronic conditions such as obesity, heart disease and diabetes. Here are 8 food ingredients that may trigger more inflammation in your body.